Stoutridge Press

Our Wines look different

Unprocessed wines are a little hazy and have natural sediments...Learn More

Green/Eat Local

Stoutridge uses many sustainable practices in our vineyards and in our winery. These include a solar array that provides 100% of our electricity.Learn More

Slow Wine

We subscribe to the slow wine philosophy of winemaking using minimal intervention and gravity winemaking techniques.Learn More

Biological side winemaking

We use biological methods to accomplish chemical changes in the wine.Learn More

Our Distillery

All of Stoutridge Distillery's products will be produced from New York State Grown ingredients.Learn More

Our Blog

Take a minute and check out our new blog! Visit Blog

Our History

The farmhouse at Stoutridge Vineyard dates back to the mid 1800’s and was built by pioneering Italian immigrants. Though the builder’s name is lost to time, we do know that at some point, perhaps due to the disruption of the American Civil War, the farm became a part of the historic 80+ acre McCourt fruit farm. Then on April 1st 1895, Hannah McCourt sold off a 14 acre parcel, the majority of what is now Stoutridge Vineyard, to Moses McMullen who farmed it for seven years until he in turn sold it to Vincenzo Marono on January 31st 1902.

Nineteen-hundred-two was an auspicious year for the farm as Vincenzo converted the barn into a winery and began producing wine commercially, doing so until his death on March 12th 1919. The Alcohol Prohibition amendment to the US constitution was ratified later that spring. This no doubt was an unfortunate turn of events for Vincenzo’s heirs, and they squabbled over the winery and land and eventually lost the entire farm, presumably to debt and bad feelings created during the legal battles.

On May 8th 1923, at the height of US Prohibition of alcohol, Joseph Noto of Miami Florida bought the lands, took down the winery and built a pig barn and automobile garage on the old winery site. He and his family farmed the fruit orchards and grapevines until his death on July 24, 1944. There are many local tales of large Sunday gatherings held and baseball games played on the Noto farm. To this day people in Marlboro refer to the land as "The old Noto Farm".

On August 28th 1945 Joseph Olivo bought the farm from Joseph Noto’s heirs, but sold it seven years thereafter in 1952 to Philippa Turrigiano. Philippa used the farmhouse as a consolidation warehouse for illegal brandy production which was a very popular activity on farms in Marlboro at the time. He was arrested at the farmhouse by federal agents in early January of 1956, and on January 20th he sold his farm to Dominic Pagnotta II. Dominic and his family kept up the fruit trees and grapevines until his death in 1969. Dominic III became a teacher and used the land for hunting and as a training ground for pistol and rifle with the New York State Hunter Safety Program. In 2006 at age 70, Dominic became the champion of the Amateur Trap Shooting Association’s annual event, "The Empire Grand American".

The farmhouse was burned down by vandals in 1988, but the entire foundation remained intact. Stephen Osborn and Kimberly Wagner, the owners of Stoutridge Vineyard, bought the farm from Dominic and JoAnn Pagnotta in June of 2001 and set about the restoration of the farmhouse, vineyards and the old Marono Winery.

1855 original mud and stone foundation